Wednesday, December 17, 2008

...which we have all our lives been secretly longing...

When religion has said its last word, there is little that we need other than God Himself. The evil habit of seeking God-and effectively prevents us from finding God in full revelation. In the and lies our great woe. If we omit the and we shall soon find God, and in Him we shall find that for which we have all our lives been secretly longing.

A. W. Tozer "The Pursuit of God"

I have run into 'mature' Christians who are very unsatisfied with their walk. Now, I can honestly say I believe that in the wisdom of God he designed the 'feeling of not being satisfied' as a fail safe device intended to drive the believer closer to Himself. Some people might argue, "I am doing everything I am supposed to do, but I still am not satisfied." I know my response may sound simplistic, but the reality is Matt 6:33! The question is are you walking with God to know God, or are you walking with God simply to get from Him? Do you know what? God knows the difference and your motivation. Do you? Or, let me say it like this. Have you ever felt unsatisfied with any "meaningful" relationships you have ever had? Of course you have...but, that can be attributed to their lack of ability to meet all of your needs. And, that is understandable because as humans we are finite and we are flawed. Let me ask you this; do you have a meaningful relationship with God and are you still unsatisfied? Well, God can meet ALL of your needs; therefore, I think the fail safe device of not being satisfied you may feel is God's way of letting you know there is more of Him to be known. And, if knowing Him is your true motivation, you will always be satisfied for He is without end...And that my friend is a lot to know! By the way He already knows everything about you [how is that for a friend]?

2 comments:

Ben Komanapalli Jr said...

That was good.

I think the ironic thing is that most of the time we try to find satisfaction in humans (who are limited) instead of finding it in God (who is unlimited).

make sense?

Mom FIsh said...

How ironic that those who seek God for Himself and not His gifts, proclaim this truth of complete satisfaction only in Him, but this truth is not clear to those who need it - the average church member. They must be discipled!