Friday, October 8, 2010

John 15 Devotional


John 15: 5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.”


Application: Have you ever studied hard for a test only to realize that you studied for the wrong one? Or, have you ever spent so much time building up your relationships with your friends that you hurt your relationships with your family? Or, have you ever saved up your money to buy something only to realize that after it was purchased it did not bring you the joy you thought it would? What is the common denominator in each of these examples? The common denominator in each example is misplaced effort that led to major disappointment and not to true peace. Jesus is attempting to teach His disciples how to obtain true peace in this Scripture and to avoid the conclusion of realizing at the end of their life they have misplaced their efforts and are majorly disappointment with their rewards. You see, at this point in Jesus’ ministry, He is about to be crucified and return to Heaven. And, He is trying to give His disciples some last minute advice to live by while He is physically away from them. What is the crux of His advice you might ask? Well it is this no matter what your life looks like obey what I [Jesus] have told you and you will find eternal happiness. Why was this important for His disciples to understand? Well, just like Adam and Eve were tempted to doubt God’s word in the garden, so are Christians tempted to doubt God’s word in the world. Jesus talks about this temptation in chapters 15 and 16 of John. In John 15: 5 He says, "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.” Now the question you may have is, ‘what does Jesus mean when He says “…apart from Me you can do nothing?”’ Does He mean I will not be rich unless I abide in Him? No! Does he mean I will not be healthy unless I abide in Him? No! Does He mean that I will not have friends unless I abide in Him? No! Does He mean I will not be popular unless I abide in Him? No! Well, what does He mean? In order to answer this you must go to John 16: 33. Jesus says, “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” To understand what Jesus is saying you must remember that the New Testament is written in Greek by Jewish men. So whenever the author who is Jewish says peace in Greek, he is refereeing to the Hebrew word Shalom. Shalom in the Hebrew dialect has a significant meaning to the Jew and for us. For, Shalom means completeness, wholeness, health, peace, welfare, safety soundness, tranquility, prosperity, perfectness, fullness, rest, harmony, and the absence of agitation or discord. You see, Jesus is protecting His disciples from living their entire lives trying to fit into the world and thinking that they are going to find peace or become complete. He is trying to protect them from working hard for the wrong things. For example, why sacrifice your time with God and your family who you will be with forever (forever is along time it’s like forever!) just to get a promotion that will not last longer than 50 years max! Jim Elliot said it like this, “He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep to gain That Which He Cannot Lose.” Jesus Christ, Jim Elliot and I are all talking about eternal rewards! Jesus is trying to get His disciples and us to study for the right test! You see, we cannot be complete without Jesus’ help, and we cannot obtain eternal happiness or Shalom trying to fit into a world that is vindictive to our God. Friend, there are many things a person can do in this life, but in order to give God glory we must abide in Jesus to ensure we have peace and eternal rewards! How do we abide in Jesus? Look at John 15:10, “If you obey my commandment you will abide in my love.” Thus the point of what I am saying is this, “if you want to truly be happy forever, obey Jesus words.” If you obey His words, you will find true peace forever. And, you will never have to worry about being disappointed again! Oh and, don’t worry you are studying for the right test this time!

Three action steps:

1. Take the time to memorize John 15:5

2. How do you abide in Jesus?

3. What is the one command in Matthew 5 – 7 that is the most difficult for you to do? Why?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you abide in Yahoshua?

I must keep His commandments to abide in His love. Just do what He says to do and He will be pleased.

What is the one command in Matt. 5-7 that is the most difficult for you to do?

The most difficult command for me to do is Matt. 5:7, showing mercy (forgiveness). Why? Because I don't want to be hurt over and over again. So the wall would go up if I was in the person's presence. The wall equals being passive aggressive, not having much or nothing to say to them when they ask me something. I'm not passive aggressive with anyone anymore. I speak up more than I use to even though I am still a quiet person. -Shonta

dedrit said...

this is some interesting read....