Saturday, September 25, 2010

John 13 Devotional

John 13 6 – 9 6 Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, “Lord, are You washing my feet?” 7 Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.” 8 Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.”

9 Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!”

Application: Do you remember when your hero let you down? How did you feel? It happened to me, and I felt terrible. Looking back I wondered why I hurt so badly whenever they failed. After all it was not me that messed up! Well, I think it is because we identify ourselves with our heroes. It is interesting why we look up to the people we do. Maybe, there is something we see in them that we would like to see in ourselves, a look, a virtue, a quality. It is interesting to think about. Ah, our heroes…We rejoice when they succeed, and we mope when they fall short. Nonetheless, our heroes influence our lives, we take on their attributes, and we want to be just like them. And, I think that’s why we take it so hard when they don’t live up to our expectations. Why? Because when they are humbled so are we, and as their status drops in the eye of others somehow so does our own. Ultimately, their declining image lowers our own image, and that damages our pride. Peter was facing this same situation when Jesus was washing the disciple’s feet! After, washing the other 11 disciples muddy feet Jesus comes to Peter, “And Peter said to Him, “Lord, are You washing my feet?” Jesus answered and said to him, What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.” Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.” If we can say anything with certainly it is this, Peter spoke from his heart and he was a very proud man! Now I am not condemning him, I wrestle with pride too. But, this instance was much deeper for Peter. He identified himself with Jesus’ ministry. He also assumed that Jesus was going to setup His Kingdom on the earth and he, Peter, would be able to have a privileged place of authority in Jesus’ Kingdom. But, in one act all his hopes for privilege status were dashed to the mud. Why, because the King of this coming kingdom was washing the feet of His SEVERANTS; The King!! Now, if the King was doing it that must mean everyone in this kingdom must have to do the same. Peter probably thought what kind of Kingdom is this? What is Jesus doing? At that point Peter had to come to grips that his hero had not met his expectations. And, as Jesus humbled Himself Peter would have to do the same. Peter’s dream of looking powerful and important in the eyes of others was coming down all around him. Peter had to understand that a hallmark of a disciple of Christ is one that ministers to other’s even past the point of humility. You see following Christ is not about notoriety; it is about meeting the needs of our brothers and sisters in the spirit of humility. Jesus confirms this by saying, “You address me as 'Teacher' and 'Master,' and rightly so. That is what I am. So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other's feet. I've laid down a pattern for you.” What pattern?…a pattern of service! Last time, I wrote that the word servant meant “slave” actually the word is much deeper. It literally means under-rower. It refers to the slaves of the past who sat in the belly of the large ships and pulled at the great oars to carry the boat through the sea. This is the roll of a servant of Christ, not to seek the lime light or the fame, but to work in unison with the other believers in humility advancing the Kingdom of God. Do you know the good thing about Jesus being your hero? It is that He is not so high up that you have to strain your neck and eyes to see Him. Actually, if you want to see him, just look down; He’s probably right there, by your feet!

Three action steps:

1. Take the time to memorize John 13 6 – 9

2. How do you know when you are in pride?

3. What can you do to cultivate humility in your heart?

5 comments:

Monique Always Succeed said...

Truly phenomenal word for such a time as this! Especially when our spiritual heros male and female are taking blows left and right. We have to back up and say wait did I unconsciously put that person on a pedastal?

Because until now I had not recognized my complicity in making ppl out to be gods. And, when they fall, yes, I somehow feel that I have decreased in stature because I more than likely was vocal in my praise.

There is only one God and He is our model for us to grow in stature through humility. His, birth, life, and death, and rising to conquor death once and for all was the greatest act of humility known to man.

As we know pride comes before the fall, so help us Lord to take heed before that takes place. Continue to teach and reach the masses with the gospel you are truly anointed.

Monique Always Succeed

Anonymous said...

Solomon wrote that pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. He was referring to the fall of Lucifer (Isaiah 14:12-21). Yah made Lucifer as bright as the morning sun. He had Yah's light all around him and he was Yah's High Priest. But, that wasn't enough for him. Yah knew his heart (vs. 13). Lucifer wanted to ascend Heaven, the stars and the clouds. He wanted to be like the Most High. No, he wants to be the Most High, Yah. He was full of pride. Lucifer was beautiful and he knew it (Ezekiel 28:16-19). He was the most beautiful angel. He wants to be worshipped like Yah (Luke4:7-8).
Yahoshua rebuked him. Yahoshua also said He saw Lucifer fall from Heaven like lightening (Luke10:18).
Michael gave the devil a T.K.O (Technical Knock Out). I know a little about sports from hearing my dad talking to his navy buddies lol. Satan knows scripture and what is going to happen to him (Rev.20:1-3;7-10) but he will not stop because of his pride.

Shonta

Anonymous said...

How do you know when you are in pride?

Pride starts in our hearts and minds before it manifests in our mouths and actions. It starts as only thinking of ourselves: saying I,I,I... all the time, bragging, showing off or being puffed up, and being selfish.

What can you do to cultivate humility in your heart?

The only way I know to humble myself to Yah is by fasting and or prayer. They should not be long, show off prayers (Matt.23:14;Matt6:
5-7). To Yah love is an action. When we afflict ourselves we show Him how much we love Him. We pray with our palms stretched to Heaven (never clasped together) to show Him there is nothing hidden in our hearts. Yahoshua bowed his face all the way to the ground when praying to Our Father, here at Matthew 26:39. This showed Yah reverence, honor and humility. I think Abba Yah had to be pleased with Yahoshua. I guess that's why Yahoshua sits on the right hand of the Father. Yah's right hand man, so to speak, lol. But, it's okay to pray kneeling or however one can.

If our hearts are not humble, Yah will not hear our prayers (Jeremiah 11:14; Isaiah 59:1-2; Isaiah 1:15; John 9:31). So, who answers the prayers of sinners? Luke 4:6, Ha Shatan, the adversary has authority and gives it to whom he wishes. *shudders* Stay guarded, remember.

Shonta

Anonymous said...

*Michael and other Angels kicked Satan out of heaven, Rev. 12:7-12.

Shonta

John said...

Wow wow wow cool blog nice colors.

http://getpowertools.blogspot.com/