Wednesday, September 8, 2010

John 11 Devotional

John 11: 39 – 40 Jesus said, "Remove the stone." The sister of the dead man, Martha, said, "Master, by this time there's a stench. He's been dead four days!" Jesus looked her in the eye. "Didn't I tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"


Application: Think about someone famous whom you look up to! Think! What made you think about that person or those people? Do they have some quality you admire in them? Have they overcome some challenge? Have they accomplished something great? What was it that made you think about that person above all of the rest? You know what is interesting about humans? We tend to trust those whom we look up to! Moreover, we tend to use the story of their lives as a tool to help motivate us when we face our own challenges. Well, regardless of the reason, that person has just received glory. And, usually the bigger the challenge or the accomplishment, the greater the glory! I think this is what Jesus was attempting to communicate to Martha at Lazarus’ grave. Jesus said, "Remove the stone." The sister of the dead man, Martha, said, "Master, by this time there's a stench. He's been dead four days!" Jesus looked her in the eye. "Didn't I tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" And, with those simple words, Martha was privileged to see God’s glory. With a word, Lazarus who had been dead for four days was brought back to life. In Bethany, the same place where a thousand years earlier the prophet Elijah had been taken up to heaven without dying, the chains of death had been shattered again. Friend, regardless of what anyone tells you, death is the greatest tragedy to befall mankind. It is abnormal. From the time of Adam until now every human being has been born with the shadow of death lingering over his or her life. Think about it! Children have to grow up knowing that one day their parents will not be there for them, fathers have to live knowing they can’t protect their children from it, and wives have to live knowing that all of their natural relationships one day will come to an end. But, Jesus promised, "Didn't I tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" And, what is the glory of God? Well, the Glory of God is that the great destroyer and equalizer to all humans, which is death, is no match for a simple word from God. “Come forth!” I believe Jesus allowed Lazarus to die and stay in the grave four days because He was trying to contrast man’s hopelessness to Jesus’ ability to bring God glory. The point: Nothing is stronger than God, not even death! Do you think people admired Jesus after Lazarus was brought back to life? I do! Why? Well, He looked the greatest challenge of humanity directly in the eyes and did not blink. You have got to admire a man like that. Remember I asked earlier whom do you look up to; well if you look a little higher you will see Jesus! “Come forth!”


Three action steps:


  1. Take the time to memorize John 11: 39 – 40

  2. Do you admire Jesus? Why or Why not?

  3. Has God received glory out of your life?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you admire Yahoshua? Why or why not?

Yah sent His only son to be bruised, to save us. That action showed His loved for us. Likewise, Yahoshua showed He loved us by giving His life, so we can have everlasting life. I admire Yah & Yahoshua.

So seeing my grandmother may have been Yah's glory? Seeing my grandmother was the first time a saw a human. I saw a dark cloudy form going up the side stairs of the dorm once. And, again when I was talking to my aunt. She saw it first, saying " I thought I saw a spirit just now" and I turned my head and saw it too. I asked different Israelites about the dark cloudy form and they directed me to Acts 2:17-19. Some other things have happened to me but I don't want to take up too much of your time. I can get long-winded on certain subjects.

Has Yah received glory out of your life?

Yes, but I can't say specifically how I glorified (esteemed) Him because there are many ways we are able to esteem Him. I talk about Yah & Yahoshua so much some people roll there eyes when I start talking. Another prayer I prayed was asking Him to send me someone I could talk with. He knows our hearts and thoughts. He was listening and did it. ~Shonta

Anonymous said...

*their not there(homophone mistake) I forgot to correct

~shonta

Anonymous said...

When I was in the 10th grade, my mom took my sister and I to the state fair. A voice that was soft and male seemed as though he was whispering in my ear. He told me what number or color to play to win. My arms were full with winnings. I didn't say anything to mom about the voice at that time. Later that night we were in the parking lot looking for the car. We looked for the car for what seemed like 2 hours! That car was not in the parking lot! Then it appeared again, she felt the hood and it was cold. I told her about the voice. She said she believed me. I never talked about the fair again, until we moved to Florida. My sister wanted to go to the fair (she didn't remember the other fair). I told her I would not go to the fair! My mom said she never wanted to see another fair either! We both thought something was going to happen to us that night. Those roads back home in the 80s were long and dark.

When we were in undergrad, I was going up the stairs to Ja-Flo and felt something there. I turned to see a dark cloudy mist following me up the stairs. Oh the terror, I raced up the stairs to the 3rd floor. When I was walking down the 3rd floor hall I looked back to see if it was still following me. It wasn't, so while in the study lounge I prayed for protection and to pass an exam I had on Monday. I went on studying for about an hour. I got up to go to my room for something and the door would not open. My roommate, ex-roommate, a girl from the basketball team and the R.A. said I screamed a terrible scream. But, I don't remember streaming. The girl from the basketball team kicked the door in. My ex-roommate said "oh, there's a ghost in there!" I could not speak, but even she knew something was in there. When I saw the R.A. again, she told me the maintenance man could not find anything wrong with the door. I didn't tell them about the stairs and I never closed the door in that study room again.

So, I was home one summer, not to long after the stairs/lounge incident. My grandma and aunt came to visit from my home state. My aunt and I were talking in the family room. She turned and looked down the hall and says, "hmmm, I thought I saw a spirit just now." I turned and saw it too. It was dark and cloudy once again. I didn't scream this time, lol. But, I was silent, I didn't tell her I saw it too. It just disappeared as it came down the hall.

When I was a R.A., I heard the voice again. Another R.A. and I were in the office talking. I was sitting in the chair. She was standing looking at a football poster of the games. On the poster was a football player. The voice I heard, and I said to her "You like him." I could hear it, see it in her eyes and feel it (all at the same time). She freaked out asking how did I know. She said she had told no one. I didn't answer her because I couldn't explain it myself. The next thing I know they were a couple, lol.

I already told you about seeing grandma (2004). I haven't seen anything in a long time. Now it's mostly a thought or feeling I get ever once in awhile. The last being about you.

Something I realized now is that there is usually someone to witness in someway or another. My mom, sis, aunt, people in the dorm, saw it too or knew something strange was happening. ~Shonta

Anonymous said...

My computer is acting up, I don't know if my post went through? ~Shonta

judellia said...

I've heard the Lazarus story a million times and there's always a new revelation. I call Jesus so many things as He's been all that too me and more, but I don't know that I've ever called him someone I look up to per say even though I seek to have a heart such as His and be a reflection thereof. I suppose its time to adjust my perspective. Thank you for challenging my thinking and expanding my vision. ~ Judellia

FndWzdm said...

Admiration in my opinion resonates a feeling of "child-like" wonder; a sense of "awe" if you will. My admiration of Jesus has increased and at the same time brought me very low. I don't think we truly understand sometimes that this "Glory" you speak of is something that we see in human eyes. It is only when we are in extreme situations of darkness, testing, and insurmountable situations that we truly understand that level of Glory.....thanks for making us think...fndwzdm

Anonymous said...

That must have been awesome to see Yahoshua through Yah give Lazarus back his life! The devil can not raise the dead or give life!Although he can do magic and kill.

Shon