Tuesday, November 8, 2011

“there are two ways to grow, either through pain or through prayer!?”


Once again what has impacted me the most this season in my life is the theme of character development. I am convinced that this is a teaching that will become a prevalent topic the rest of my life. Now, I am not saying that this theme is more important than Salvation. But, just as Francis Schaffer said, “becoming a Christian is just the beginning.”
I am beginning to understand that from that beginning God uses the situations of our lives to develop the character of Christ in us. I don’t think that this process is easy. Yet, interestingly, my spiritual formation teacher stated, “there are two ways to grow, either through pain or through prayer!?” Regardless the method the principle is poignant and profound. After salvation we are asked to grow.
I have been adamant about my growth up to this point; however, now my convictions have deepened. I now believe my calling is what God is using to conform my character to Christ's. I now understand why we rejoice when we are persecuted. I understand why tribulations must come. They come because I need to formed into the image of Christ. I used to be like the unbelieving Israelites. When trouble came I would do the very opposite of what God required of me. But, now I have been enlightened. This suffering simply puts me on my knees and drives me closer to God.
I can honestly say that I did not want to embrace this truth. And, the only time I was able to see its truthfulness is when I made the biggest sacrifice in my life in leaving my kids in Virginia to follow the call of God. After that step of faith God has been clearly moving in my life. I cannot deny that his presence in my life has been manifested to a greater degree since I took that step of obedience. Yet, it was extremely difficult. Yet, it is my responsibility like Christ to hold on in obedience even in the face of pain, suffering, and even death. I now know that through my obedience I will become more like him.
Praying for suffering is not a request for this life. It will come. Now my question is can it be quantified. Can this process be codified? Can it be measured so that others can see its validity? If it can be, what a great benefit this would be for many who have been following Christ, yet who have been discouraged by the outcome of their lives. No, it may not look like the winning message that everyone wants, but the truth is He is the potter, and he has the responsibility to mold us into whatever shape he desires.
So what is it that is impacting me now? What is impacting me is the knowledge that God is working on me. Now, I understand how all things are working together for my good. Now I am certain that regardless of the context, regardless of the struggle, God is working in me. He relentlessly is working in me to mold me into his son. Only he knows what areas of my character demand immediate attention. Only he knows what areas are effective in this season of my life. God is the all wise one. Ultimately, I have been moved into a greater level of trust. And, now I know I need him more than ever. My only responsibility is to remain obedient to Him and to allow Him to work in me until I finally look like him.

1 comment:

Lisa Lewis Koster said...

Thanks for your post! I agree that becoming Christ-like is a life long process that doesn't always follow the path of our choosing. The key is to continue following God no matter what!