Thursday, February 5, 2009

Two Contents, Two Realities

There are four things which I think are absolutely necessary if we as Christians are going to meet the need of our age and the overwhelming pressure we are increasingly facing. Thy are two contents and two realities:

The First Content: Sound Doctrine 
The Second Content: Honest Answers to Honest Questions
The First Reality: True Spirituality 
The Second Reality: The Beauty of Human Relationships

Francis A. Schaeffer -- Two Contents, Two Realities

It is so interesting that Dr. Schaeffer knew 30 years ago what we in the church need to focus on today to save the sinner and edify the believer, which is truth and authenticity! 

1 comment:

Lawyer said...

Interesting. Looking at the two contents, it's easy to see where we can fall short. Sound doctrine implies that there is a foundation. Without an unyielding foundation, doctrine can bend to the whims of culture. A doctrine that bends is no doctrine at all--it is a suggestion, free to be ignored.

The second content is sobering, and is, to me, connected to confidence. If I am truly confident in what I believe, I fear no honest question. I welcome opportunities to share and defend what I believe. (1 Peter 3:15).

However, if I am not fully confident, I will feel threatened by honest questions. I will become defensive and attack the questioner, thereby wasting a good opportunity to share what God has done for me.