Wednesday, July 20, 2011

John 17 Devotional

John 17: 20 – 21 I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

Application: Could you imagine watching a movie without any conflict? What type of movie do you think it would be? What do you think the movie would be about? A scriptwriter once told me, “Without conflict there is no point in having a movie. No one would want to see it.” This was a very interesting comment to me. I began to think about it, and I realized all my favorite movies were full of conflict and intrigue. So, I could not argue with the screen writer on that point, but where I could argue with him was that conflict is fine for entertainment, but it’s not ok for people’s lives. You see, there is probably just as much conflict in the movies as in the real world, but conflict in our lives is not very entertaining. The dictionary defines conflict as mental struggle resulting from incompatible or opposing needs, drives, wishes, or external or internal demands, which can result in fights, battles, and wars. We all face conflict on a daily basis; whether it comes from within ourselves or from those who dislike us. We all face it. Let me repeat this point. Every human being who has ever taken a breath of life has had to face some type of conflict and so do you! Now, imagine this, since we live in a world that accepts conflict as the “way it is”, what type of impact would it have on a person if he or she would see a group of people living together and no conflict existed? Well Jesus thought this would have a big impact. Check this out. Jesus thought that having a group of people who lived together without conflict was so important that He prayed to God for it. (And you know God always hears His prayers) Jesus said, “I do not pray for these [the disciples] alone, but also for those who will believe [Christians] in Me through their [disciples] word; that they [Christians] all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they [Christians] also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.” Did you see what Jesus said? He said the world would believe that the Father sent Jesus to the earth to die for the sins of humanity if Christians can be one or live in agreement with each other. WOW! Is that not amazing? If we can all just get along, then the world will know that Jesus was telling the truth. You see the world knows that it could only be a supernatural power to bring a diverse group of people together. Therefore, unity with other Christians must be a goal for a believer’s life. Remember I asked could you imagine watching a movie without any conflict. Well do you know what God thinks about it all the time?

Three action steps:

1. Take the time to memorize John 17: 20 – 21
2. Does every Christian get along with you? Why or Why not?
3. What can you do to develop good relationship with other believers?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew a girl who was Ethiopian in undergrad. She said the Ethiopian government would stop food from coming into villages to starve out the rebels and their families. :(
I'll be back later.

Shon

Anonymous said...

The Israelites gave a recorded lesson this evening from 2009. It was called Did Yahoshua Pre-exist? It was a long lesson and I have to go find part 2 in the archives. It was an eye opening lesson. I have A LOT of notes. One thing is for sure, we can't go by man's interpretation of truth. We have to do what thus says Yah, and the world does not like what Yah has to say. I can now see why the chosen ones will be few and why the world is going to hate and persecute us. Israelite men like yourself are going to come with that fire (of Yah's word) against the adversary! Be ready!

Shon

Anonymous said...

Good morning :)

Anonymous said...

I had to join the website that has the archives and it has to be approved. So I'm waiting on that for part 2 of the lesson. I think they screen pre-members because of trolls.

Shon

Anonymous said...

Good morning!